Vietnam Releases New FDI Statistics
By Dezan Shira & Associates
Posted: 17th March 2014 08:51HANOI – Vietnam’s Foreign Investment Agency (FIA) has released new foreign direct investment numbers for this year up to February 20, 2014.
There have been 122 new projects granted investment certificates. These projects had a total registered capital of US$830.87 million. Forty-one projects increased their investment capital by a total of US$708.79 million. This represents a 23 percent increase year-on-year (Y/Y). In the first two months of 2014, total newly registered capital saw an increase of 37.5 percent Y/Y.
The FIA’s report has found that during the first two months of 2014:
· Foreign investors invested in 14 different industry sectors, the leading areas included:
o The manufacturing sector with 76.5 percent of total investment capital (US$1.178 billion)
o Real-estate with 18.1 percent (US$278.33 million)
o Transport and Warehousing had the majority of the remaining investment (US$21.75 million)
· 29 countries invested into Vietnam during the 2014 period, the leading countries include:
o South Korea with 30.5 percent (US$468.98 million)
o Singapore with 17.2 percent (US$264.55 million)
o Japan with 17.1 percent (US$263.36 million)
· There has been foreign investment in 19 provinces. The provinces with the leading investment numbers are:
o Binh Duong with 44.8 percent (US$690.51 million)
o Haiphong with 12.7% (US$195.85 million)
o Ho Chi Minh City with 9.6 percent (US$147.95 million)
RELATED: Vietnam Issues Revised Law to Improve Local Investment Climate
Stand out projects for the first two months of 2014 include:
· Wonderful Saigon Electrics Ltd increased its capital investment by US$210 million.
· VSIP Hai Phong Co., Ltd. Increased its capital investment by US$122.303 million.
· SI Flex Co., Ltd. Vietnam with total registered investment capital of US$106 million
· Arcadia Villa Co., Ltd. with a total investment of US$102 million in Ho Chi Minh City.
The FIA report also included a brief look at import and export statistics for the year so far:
Exports from the foreign-invested sector (including crude oil) are expected to reach US$13.855 billion, up 11.8 percent Y/Y and accounting for 65.79 percent of total exports.
Imports from the foreign-invested sector were US$11.757 billion, up 17.1 percent Y/Y and accounting for 56.48 percent of total imports.
This article was first published on Vietnam Briefing.
Dezan Shira& Associates is a specialist foreign direct investment practice, providing corporate establishment, business advisory, tax advisory and compliance, accounting, payroll, due diligence and financial review services to multinationals investing in emerging Asia. Since its establishment in 1992, the firm has grown into one of Asia’s most versatile full-service consultancies with operational offices across China, Hong Kong, India, Singapore and Vietnam as well as liaison offices in Italy and the United States.
For further details or to contact the firm, please email email@example.com or visit www.dezshira.com.